Thursday, October 23, 2008

Penguin Progress Part 5

Ridde: How does a penguin build its house?

Well, I've decided that I need to do a few minor major alterations to give the costumes a fighting chance of fitting the girls. Right now, without the neck line finished, or the legs finished, the costumes are 34½" tall. The taller of the two girls is 26½" from the base of her neck to her ankle, and the other is 2" shorter. That makes the costume MUCH too tall, and since we know that the #1 cause of accidental injuries on halloween is tripping, that just will not do. (or maybe you didn't know that, but now you do :D).

I think I can cut a bit off the bottom of the costume, but I need to decide how much, but I'm pretty sure it needs to be more than 5". 5" is a relevant number because that is how far up the tail is (already) attached from the bottom of the costume. This means that in order to cut enough off of the bottom I'm going to have to open up the back seam, move the tail up, and then close the back seam again. GAH!

I only have 1 week from tomorrow till halloween, and I HAVE to get the penguins in the mail by Monday in order to ensure that they're there by Friday!

How do I always manage to do this to myself? I've been thinking about these since the first of September, "Two months is PLENTY of time" I said, and yet somehow I'm not done 1 week before. In college it was the same way, I'd start on a project WAY early, but somehow by the time it was due I was always scrambling at the last minute to finish it. I thought I'd outgrown that in grad school since I didn't really do that there, but I'm beginning to think that instead it's more that I just didn't really have any deadlines, so there was no place for last minute scrambling to occur. Sigh. Guess I better quit complaining and get to work! :)

Answer: Igloos it together

No comments: