Friday, January 2, 2009

Return to sewing

"A hobby is only fun if you don't have time to do it."
~Leo Beenhakker


Well I had a very nice holiday season and I hope all of you did too! Now that all the Christmas-crafting is over, it's time to resume sewing. Boy do I have a bunch to do. Right before the holiday season hit I felt no motivation to sew. Luckily for my birthday, in December, I received several gifts that will help me sew- tools and inspiration:

My mom gave me a nice cutting table and a craft lamp. Now I don't have kneel on the floor to cut and I'll be able to see much better to sew after dark.



and I got a great Japanese sewing book from my friend Gwen.


There are so many cute clothes in this! Sadly I don't think I'm actually small enough to fit into their largest size, since Japanese women tend to be on the petite side, but some of the items would make great gifts, and perhaps the patterns can be modified to fit me. All of the pictures feature polka dots, which I adore!!! So thanks Gwen, I can definitely see lots of inspiration coming from this book.

Now, after my hiatus from sewing and my new tools in hand I'm feeling the motivation. Sewing machine here I come!

2 comments:

Gwen said...

Oh, bummer, I never really thought much about the sizes... :(
I guess the book I got for myself won't fit me either - those darn Japanese women! ;)
Well, we'll just have to figure out how to scale up. ;)

Anonymous said...

That sewing table is sooo nice. That really makes such a huge difference in how a project goes. Every time I've ever sewn something I had to cut it on the floor, or on top of the ironing board. *eyeroll*