Thursday, September 18, 2008

Patience young grasshopper

“All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.”
~Alexandre Dumas Pere


The smallest size of the penguin costume, xs, is too big for my nieces. The xs fits a 23-24" waist, and they have a 20" waist. So I had to decide - make the extra small and hope for the best, re-draw the pattern a size smaller, or make a bigger size that they can wear next year.

I chose option b - redraw the pattern pieces a size smaller.

After working for 2 hours on one piece, and not making much progress, I started to doubt my choice. I was very close to just making the extra small and hoping for the best. I took a break for a few hours and decided that I would be terribly disappointed if they didn't fit, and it may not even fit them next year, so I would just suck it up and finish redrawing the pieces. It took me almost one entire day, probably around 6 or 7 hours to redraw the 8 pieces that I needed, but it went much faster once I got the hang of how and where to make the measurements from the xs lines to make my xxs lines.

It took a lot of patience but I was pretty happy with how it turned out. To me it looked pretty close to the original lines and sizes, as if it were almost a real size included on the pattern. I mean it's not perfect or anything, but I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out. I wish I'd taken a picture but I didn't think about it until after I'd cut them out. :(

Now we just hope that the new size fits them!


No comments: